Monday, March 19, 2012

Return to Center



author’s note:

I've memorized this poem, so as to use it for medicinal purposes.

But I suppose that's how we use all poetry--for medicinal purposes.


RETURN TO CENTER

In the dream...

one waterdrop
from that towering redwood tree
hit the midnight mirror of the pond

as if to plunge
a cold needle
down into my heart--

creating rings within rings of ripples--

the waves spreading
until finally striking
the rocks along the shore

then coming back
to center. All the circles gathering
to a still point...a point

that could not remain
so still--a point
I could not hold

but a stillness that I know
I can recall
whenever I break
against those rocks.

© 2012, Michael R. Patton
Open All Night: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

Beautiful, Michael!

And, I definitely agree with your statement that " ... it's okay to feel so small, as long as you don't feel insignificant."

I'm looking forward to your next post.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home