Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shadow Woman Poem


author’s note:

“The only thing I know about my shadow is that it’s a long one.”
           --  Charles Gibson, network TV anchor

Mr. Gibson made the above remark while hosting the “Good Morning America” show.

It was in reference to Ground Hog’s Day.

Casual conversation reveals volumes.


SHADOW WOMAN POEM

Even on my fungi-neuron days
I can be caught
in a sky mood unexpected--

held thus, I will quit
arguing with the weather--

and I won't wrestle the woman
who holds me thus--

the truth is:
we can never put her down.
She follows me
like the shadow
attached to my heels.

Once, in a public place,
I whacked the shadow
with a cane.  Everyone felt
the vibration--someone stopped
spooning soup.

I felt so embarrassed
that I composed and spoke
this poem on the spot--

reassured by my resurrection,
the whole place then resounded
with peace.

Which is one reason I write
these soliloquies.

© 2010, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home