Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Am Here



author’s note:

“The Universe is not just stranger than we imagine.  The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.”
                  --  Charles Fort

Yes, but I can’t stop trying to imagine.


I AM HERE

I had fallen back--
after another day
of wringing my head--
when I heard a voice
I could not ignore
tell me, gently:
              “I am here.”

A voice ambiguous
a voice unknown--

and when I asked,
“Who’s there?”

I received no answer

yet I still felt comforted.

Perhaps that dark woman
in my dream finally spoke--

but if so,
wasn’t I just
talking to myself?

How can I know?

I’d hoped the voice
might be a visitation
from some source
that could heal me.

But instead I’m reminded:
I am still dim--

I feel teased, tantalized--

to be mocked
after a day of stitching rags,
where the gains seemed so small
and so costly.

And yet...and yet...

tonight
when I lay down--
when my hour has smoothed
to a few ruffles
from undersea currents--

I still hope I hear
that voice of mystery
tell me:
             “I am here.”

© 2008, Michael R. Patton

dream life
earnest audio

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I find this poem particularly lovely.

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home