Monday, October 25, 2010

Deep Rising



author's note:

As I said when I posted the first version of this poem: it's not written to anyone I know.

Yet.


DEEP RISING

I can not assure you of what
we might make happen

because human beings really are
sensuous underwater carnivals
of multitudinous levels--
growing greater the deeper down
we go.

Sometimes--as if by chance--
I've slipped down to what
feels to be very far

but too rarely
so I still don't know how
to get us down there--but I believe
we can together because I can see
we both want what lives deep within us,
deep yet detectable on the surface:
I can see the recessive star glow in your dark eyes--
and when I see that glow I feel that same glow
burning in my eyes.

But even desire doesn't seem to be enough
to draw us there, even being together
in harmony, in sincerity
isn't enough.

However...
I believe we help ourselves
by seeing the possibility
of what we can achieve--
though the possibility
raises my anxiety--

when I see the gains
can be so great
the potential loss
seems even more drastic--

thus, my elevating anxiety
actually increases the pull, the push
to dive ever deeper--
I feel my desire heighten--
ever more urgent.

As I burn, intensified
I see the glow in your dark eyes
brighten--I see that you know
we must somehow
--together--find our way there.

© 2010, Michael R. Patton
I'm one of a 100

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

Passion, hope, and optimism here, Michael.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an emotional poem. It exposes many feelings that human beings have. There is a sense of urgency to act upon emotion. The sentiments expressed within the poem resonate with the reader. Beautiful poem.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home