Sunday, June 15, 2008

Down Time



‘Cause you can never tell
 What goes on down below!
 This pool might be bigger
 Than you or I know!
                   --  Dr. Seuss


SOUNDING

A small sound
beneath my foot--

maybe just under
the floorboards
down in the dirt--

or deeper:
within the Earth--

that small sound

brought me back
to myself, as I listened
to something beyond
my tangled notes--

I want to return
to what I’ve lost--
and more:
to where
I’ve never been.

Maybe I hear
a foreign miner
tapping a coal block
with a pick axe
way down there...

or the periodic venting belch
of a growing volcano--

whatever the source
the sound gives me hope--

my desire hears an echo,
my desire believes
something far below
cries for my response--

by listening, I respond,
by listening, I dig down,
by responding, I grow hungrier--
I discover how hungry
I have been and search
for new ways to respond.

Even if that ticking talks
of rags of pain, I say
       --“rise, rise”--I say
(as if to a new relation):
I will meet you halfway.

© 2008, Michael R. Patton
dream steps
earnest audio

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home