Sunday, June 01, 2008

Vacation



author’s note:

Unfortunately, I did not write this poem with anyone in mind.

But it does remind me of a couple I met when I was 18.  I tore up some tar roofing for a man and he invited me to lunch with him and his wife.  They’d been married several years.

I might not have been the most perceptive fellow, but I could see that these two people delighted in each other’s company.  I’m often surprised by the memories that stay with me.


WALKING HAWAII

A darker green, but still green.
With points of sunlight
through the leaves.
Your nakedness:
forceful, extemporary,
and extreme.

That woman in the vacation brochure?
The one walking on the beach in the sun?
She represents the place people want to go
when they want to go
to a place
outside their lives.

Don’t feel intimidated by her flesh.
They’ve actually pictured you:
I’m sure
the tourist bureau
wanted to express you.

You are Hawaii.

With the innocence
of openness
you lay down
in the sand
and pretend
your ocean wave
will not rise up.

© 2008, Michael R. Patton
dream steps
innocent audio

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

Hi, did you try it out yet?

Meanwhile, I just checked back with Simon's site, and he has what he calls a "Label Cloud" up again. Check it out at http://v8villager.blogspot.com/ ...let me know if you have any problems, OK? (Note: You'll have to keep scrolling down, looking on the left side all the while until it appears.)

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home