Sunday, August 24, 2008

Creature of Creation



author’s note:

I invoke not the terrible, greedy dragon chronicled in the folk legends of the West, but the terrible, creative dragon of Eastern mythology.


SPIRALING CREATION

The dragon rests beside me
on waves of sand.
Creature of creation
that visits me when
I have given up
all opposites

and no longer oppose shadows.

The sharp-edged plated petals
running down its spine
separate, but do not divide:
                               the whole truth is revealed
                                           as my dragon curls up
                             to sleep,
                                       to dream
                                                   in a spiral.

© 2008, Michael R. Patton
dream steps
earnest audio

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I looked at that pic and thought, "Jiminy Christmas, I hope he's not going to invoke the terribly greedy dragon!" And, of course, you didn't.

What a delightful poem, Michael! I particularly like "the creature ... that visits me when I have given up" ... "as my dragon curls up to sleep" ... nice thoughts, good feelings, warm fuzzies.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home