Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beings of Mythology



author’s note:

Allow me to make one thing clear: I am not a belly with its beer.


BEINGS OF MYTHOLOGY

The beings of mythology
have wandered far
from my yard.

When I finally
discovered them missing,
I was a poor sight:
       a belly with its beer.

I was so far gone
I could not even bring myself
to hunt for them.

Only when a star fell
and burned up my back lawn
did I awake
then move on the trail
of those mythical beasts.

First, I uncovered
a shock of hair
in the dusty road.
Then a claw nail.
Some wet droppings
lying in the dirt.
A place where one of them
had skinned a rat.

I knew they’d probably
have their way with me
once I found them.

But I guess that’s what I get
for years of neglect.

© 2008, Michael R. Patton
dream steps
earnest audio

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

This one made me laugh, Michael! (Well, except for the skinned rat.)

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home