Thursday, March 15, 2012

Warm Blue Cave



author’s note:

I am a part of all that I have met.
                    -- Alfred Lord Tennyson

I would say: all that I have met is a part of me.


WARM BLUE CAVE

The world welcomed me
with closed doors
and hard crows--

as a result,
I came to believe any open door
would slam shut
if I approached

and even the soft blue bird
might peck my eyes out.

But this break also
gave me great feeling for
all those other fractured mirrors--
I wanted to patch us all.

However...
with such pain around me
I felt the need to crawl
into a cave so blue
I would stay warm
no matter how cold
the air outside might blow.

And I did crawl.
And I did find
a better coat--
a garment with the strength
of ages.  I found
what truly belonged to me--
what I could not lose.
Even so

I felt I had not yet
found enough...but change
demands change

so I left and when I left
I walked out on two feet
instead of four.  I walked

out and around,
but no matter what I saw
ever so often, I could look down
and feel
that warm blue cave
deep in my belly--

warm enough for me
to keep my arms open
long enough
for the birds to land

and none of them
have tried
to peck out my eyes

yet.

But I trust
that I'm now strong enough
to keep my hands uncoiled

and though I feared
the wounded birds
would weigh me down
they seem, instead
to have lifted me up.

Even more to my surprise:
we must be
of the same feather
because I can hear
their echoes
deep within me

whenever I descend
to open my door
to that warm blue world.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home