Sunday, December 20, 2009

Stopping with the Flow



author’s note:

On this day before the Winter Solstice, in the darkest time of year, I revisit this poem...

...written before “twitter” became another good word stolen by popular culture.


NIGHT WINTER WIND

The rabbit wrote an alien message
with its tripod paws
through the snow fields
as a dark wind
carved its ferocity
into the side of a drift.  That wind laughed
at my attempts
to find shelter inside my thoughts.

In such cold fire,
the owl almost
seemed friendly--the owl channeled a spirit
all night long

but gave no answers or glad tidings.

Yet despite these conditions
my senses expanded--
I could feel the sweet discomfort
of the bees in their slumber--
the desire to gather pollen never rests.
How the crickets twittered anxiously
in their underground cocoons--
agitated by a song restrained.

Salmon jumping upstream
show how we must sometimes go
against the flow.
But as I stood in the midnight field
Winter let me know
that earnest though I be, I was no match
for its currents and waves.

So I acquiesced
and knelt down on a bare rock
to prepare
for the opening of Spring.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
taking new steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lyn said...

Found your blog by accident(which doesn't exist). I like your poetry.

2001, 1st on my list too. I have a post called, "Perfect Murder"-
Dave/Hal.

Thanks...

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home