Sunday, March 22, 2009

Translation Transformation



author’s note:

Occasionally I’ll read something I’ve written and feel as if I’m reading another writer.  That’s a sensation both pleasant and strange.


FOUND IN TRANSLATION

I would like to thank
my translator--
the one who jumbles
my letters
so that what I write
ends up being
what I really meant.

For instance:
I had planned to use
the word “loss”,
but the translator decided
the correct word
was “moss”.

I intended to put down
“solitary room”;
the translator substituted
“solar-factory loom”.

Loon.

So do I still deserve credit?

After considering the verbiage
of my work--
after consolidating the cabbage
of my wok--
I must ask, Am I only
the somnambulistic robot?
or am I--as the translator would say--
“The Seismographic Rabbit”?

Power to The Translator.

However,
sometimes dust motes of thought
coalesce
and block this transfer of power.
Blockaded.  Blockheaded.

During such times,
“loss” is truly “loss”.

Fortunately, the translator
has the patience
to rise above
such petty conflict.
Eventually, the translator
clears my hedges
and we both escape.

Nevertheless,
I don’t always understand
the message--
          for instance,
          why does the translator
          often refer to my words
          as “warps”?

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

Lots of giggles while reading this one, Michael. I really enjoyed it. Reminded me a little bit of Ogden Nash's "Eletelephony" (or some such title).

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home