Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Best Peristalsis



author’s note:

It’s ironic...

As I care less about what people may think...

I become a better person.


MY BEST PERISTALSIS

Do you have some special type
of knife

that can help me
cut this thing--?--

so I can digest it:
this big awkward block
of granite?

Or perhaps you can suggest
a style?
--some style I may adopt
so I can bite into it
elegantly
and make of my eating
an art?

Is there some kind of camera
you can train on me
that will give my pain poignancy?
--instead of its usual harshness
and instability--

which I try to cover
with my nonchalance
as if eating granite rock
is no more significant
than spreading cheese on a cracker.

I’m just trying to find some way
to feel less embarrassed
by this necessity, less naked
--though I don’t actually know
if anyone’s looking, if anyone
cares.

On second thought:
don’t bother about the knife:
I was only talking
-----meowing----
because in actuality
I’ve already begun
to digest that block
----in secret----
by wrapping the delicate feelers
in my stomach
around the granite
then hammering it
-----softly-----
all the time
patiently accepting
the pain.

In all honesty/humility
I must say:
it’s the best peristalsis
I’ve ever performed.

And despite my embarrassment
I just wish someone
would recognize
that I’ve done the hard thing well.
But perhaps they’re too discreet,
too respectful--?--
or maybe they’re all
just too busy
with their own blocks.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

You're some kind of nut, Michael! Someone's going to catch up with you and lock you away somewhere so you stop hurting yourself!! :)

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home