Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lush Life


author’s note:

The wind sculpted the stone,
the stone is a cup of water,
the water runs off and is wind.
Stone and wind and water.
          —  Octavio Paz (trans. Robert Hass)


SAND WATER

This desert is lush--

it never lacks for sand.

I cradle an armful
of these fine,
these plain brown
granules--

droplets of water
condense around
each grain held close
to the breast:
            my addition,
            my offering.

Under the spell
of such a process,
I fight to hang on
as the gift
that is not mine
to keep
continues
to leak.

I remain in joy
as long as I can see
this situation
as comedic:
                look at me--
scrambling to stop
what can not
be stopped
from slipping away

--until finally
I accept the inevitable
and give it all back

to the wind and the ocean
in which I bathe

--returning, I hope
a better grain.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home