Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Driving Naked



author’s note:

I’m driven...but as for what’s driving me...

...I can’t say.


WHY

Though my hands held firm grip
on the steering wheel...

when I looked down
I found no steering column

--!--

However, I decided to act
as if I was still driving
so as not to lose
credibility.

But people still asked,
“Why didn’t you
  turn right?...Why didn’t you
  turn left?...Why did you
  back up?...Why did you
  pull off

  to the side of the road
  when you had
  a wide open lane
  straight ahead?”

I told them:
“That was me
  choosing
  my choice”--yes
that’s what I told them
with all the confidence
I could fake.

But even if I had known
why,
I don’t think I
would have
said...

so as not to lose
credibility

by offering
what must be
some fantastic answers.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

"So as not to lose credibility" ... ... when I was reading this poem, Michael, for some reason I was reminded of "The Emperor's New Clothes" and laughed.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Actually, I recently re-read "The Emperor's New Clothes". Come to find out, people didn't speak up because, if they had, they would have lost their jobs. It was a little girl who finally told the truth and pulled the plug on the whole business.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

Little children "tell all" and "like it is", don't they? :) As a former first grade teacher, I was privy to many family secrets that both mothers and fathers wished I had NOT been privy to!

I want to go back to "so as not to lose credibility" ... ... even in this day and age, Michael, altho people might not be in fear of losing their jobs, they might be in fear of not being able to see what someone ELSE 'obviously' sees ... ... I think that concept is what made me laugh more than anything else!

(Interestingly enough, I recently saw the movie "The Emperor's New Clothes" ... luved it! Kind of a similar concept ... you don't want to be thought 'stupid' or 'incapable'. ANYhoo, Michael, it made me laugh. Still does!)

Thanx for the poem.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home