Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Horse Feathers



author’s note:

“A horse!  A horse!  My kingdom for a horse!”

            --  Shakespeare, Richard III


INNOCENT ASSAULT

Ironically,
I’d just dreamt
a horse
had carried me
to the horizon

when this one
came on
sudden as a hailstorm
--a horse

guided by instinct
toward the mountain
buried in cloud--
that same mountain
I hunt to find

--and as I wondered
if deliverance had finally arrived,
its army of hooves--
indiscriminate, innocent
--clomped over my fallen body.

(Lightning happens in a flash
  but recovery requires
  a slow tedious rain.)

A dust cloud still hangs
in the air
as I grope about my scalp
to ascertain the damage,
knowing
I’m yet too numb from shock
to feel--

but also knowing
the pain will soon
begin to throb

--yes,
I’ve been rung,
rung up
once again

yet still not
fully awakened

from the stupor
induced by all
that previous ringing.

Maybe I am the horse
in the dream. Maybe those hooves
will continue to run me over
until I see
I am the horse.

In that case, perhaps
I should bless that other horse
for its blind attempt to wake me--?

Yes, I will thank you all, I will--
just not yet.
Right now, I’m opening
my mouth like a fish
on dry land. For the moment
I can’t bring myself to speak,
nor take
anymore in.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

All right! I'll admit it. I haven't read your poem yet. After I stop laughing over the title, I'll go back and read it, OK? Then, maybe (or maybe not) I'll have a REAL comment to add. :)

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home