Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reflection



author’s note:

“Thou wert my guide, philosopher, and friend.”
                --  Alexander Pope


LION GRIP

Today I watched a carcass
dragging itself along
as if an invisible lion
had hold of its throat.

I said to myself,
“Poor guy--
 that’s what happens
 when you take yourself
 for granted.”

Yet I knew that I too
had a lion last night--

its fangs in my neck:

I had stuck myself
again

--reflecting--

over the rough times
of our long history.

But I told myself
that lion was you--

because you are
so much like me
often I see you
instead of myself
looking back.

But when I finally stop
the mastication of thought
and allow myself to feel...

the lion releases its grip
as my eyes open
to discover
we were merely cubs
trying to feed
with our hungry lips
off each other’s milk.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home