Wednesday, December 09, 2009

A Symptom of Learning



author’s note:

The photo above shows an early attempt to improve my balance.

The pillow attached to the rump has since been discarded.


A SYMPTOM OF LEARNING

When we meet
you will know me
by the lightning wound
on my chin

where I’ve struck
down
time and again--

sleepwalking, but awoken
upon landing.

If you’re wondering
why I keep
falling asleep
when I stand back up...

Well, at the moment
even such a small shift
in atmosphere is enough
to knock me out,
dizzy with spinning--

sometimes I wish
I was still crawling
with eyes shut.

Too late--
I’ve already seen
the better perspective–
I can’t stop seeing.

So don’t fret about
the blue and purple bruise
on my chin.
It’s merely a symptom
of learning.

© 2009, Michael R. Patton
earnest audio
new steps

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

:)

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home