Monday, July 12, 2010

North Star



author’s note:

I really had to question the line: “…by working so hard/ to catch what can not be caught/ I have stoked my power.”

I’m glad to say that I stand by it.


NORTH STAR

Because the waves move
while the reflection
remains still
the North Star
always appears
to be right over there.

But swim as I might,
I have yet to capture
the North Star--

and though I now know better
these arms and legs of mine
continue to plow onward

propelled by a low desire
to seek those earthly reflections
of what exists on-high.

I battle this lowness but lose--still distracted
by the seeming closeness of the reflection--
wanting so badly to believe
that all my straining has finally brought me
within arm’s reach
of the North Star

but then the water breaks
under my hand
and the image smashes to pieces.
A wounding frustration.

Yet in healing that hurt
I build a stronger bond.

But even more ironically:
by working so hard
to catch what can not be caught
I have stoked my power.

I think I will find
the North Star
when my legs learn
to stop kicking.

© 2010, Michael R. Patton
100 Best Poetry Blogs

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home