Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Naked Song


author's note:

Yes, inspiration often seems like dumb luck...

...but I work very hard in my rewrites to make it seem even luckier.


NAKED SONG

I first revealed
my uvula
in the dumb innocence
of childhood--

foolishly hoping
to land a sunray on my tongue
--as I would a snowflake--
I opened my mouth

and song fell out...

Fortunately,
I can be just as dumb now
when driven by blind impulse
to stumble blankly
into the glare of the sun porch--
forgetting any shred
of shame to clothe me--

too stammered, too obtuse
in the head to speechify
in a senatorial toga--

yet I can sing then--I can

when I get hit with a flash
that knocks my hat
--my blinder refinement--
into the clothes heap.

In the naked grace
of such moments
I've nothing left
to block the song.

© 2011, Michael R. Patton
100 Best Poetry Blogs

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home