Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Ghost Outside in the Hallway



author's note:

Unlike the ghost in this story...

...apparently, spirits may listen and take heed.

A friend once lived in a haunted apartment.  His sister visited; she slept on the couch.

When she woke one night to see the ghost sitting beside her, she told it, "Get out of here!"

And so the ghost left.


THE GHOST OUTSIDE IN THE HALLWAY

I can barely hear her murmurs
though she transients right outside--I strain to listen
because she also seems to speak to me:
You’ve made it, she says,
                                       you’re home free--

How can she know the answer
yet still be lost?
I suppose I could ask myself
the same question--
only rarely can I accept
my better perspective--

even though, like her, I want so much to believe--

so much that sometimes in the darkest hours
my desire creates overwhelming desperation
and again I feel compelled to try to get through:
“Let go," I tell her, "Let go
           of what you do not need--
                   let go.”

But though I whisper, I doubt she hears.
Anyway, why should she feel my urgency?--
I live in time; she does not.

But because my stubborn hunger
assures me (somewhat arrogantly)
that I can free us both
I persist in these attempts
to communicate.

We all seem to need ten
or ten million lifetimes
to adjust
to life on dry land.

© 2011, Michael R. Patton
myth steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home