Monday, August 22, 2011

Inferno Dog


author's note:

If I believed my poems only related to my own life experience...

...I wouldn't bother to post them online.


INFERNO DOG

Though I did not know
that dog
    with the flaming tongue--that dog
    with its inferno eyes
knew me

and so stood ready
to lead me from this scrub land
into a forest so dense
the wonder would very nearly be
too intense

but as I wavered
on the precipice of action...

I became distracted
by my shoelaces--

as in other dreams
my laces had somehow gotten
all tangled up;

so once again, I knelt down
and worked to un-knot knots

while the black dog laughed silently
at the edge of the wood--

it knows quite well that I can't escape...

I know the torch still waits.


© 2011, Michael R. Patton
a shameless self-promotion

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home