Monday, October 24, 2011

Furlough



author's note;

‘Cause you can never tell
What goes on down below!
This pool might be bigger
Than you or I know!
                   --  Dr. Seuss


FURLOUGH

Thank you
for revealing
the pink
of your slip...

thus, distracted
I let the thread
of my sensate memory
guide me out
of the labyrinth--

you broke the spell--
I no longer wanted to follow
the dense shadow music
of a murmuring well--
its many voices blending
into a symphony so deep
--and so distant:
   I drive myself hard
   to hear it more clearly...

But in the midst of discovery
I can become lost
so I needed to return--
I needed the freshening
of your purling spring tones--
a melody deceptively simple...

a short furlough, before I'm lured
to descend again
by a soft yearning summons
--persistent, the cry
   faraway in my heart.

© 2011, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home