Monday, October 31, 2011

The Man Who Didn't See His Own Wings



author's note:

Years ago, I overheard a conversation in which a middle-aged man said, "My kids took away my caprice."

To be honest, at first I thought the man's offspring had driven off with his car.


THE MAN WHO DIDN'T SEE HIS OWN WINGS

A man once complained to me
about how he'd lost his wings...

Yet I could see him holding
those wings outstretched--
giving shelter
to all those gathered
underneath--

such a man--so tall and resolute--
but still, he railed...

I now realize
he'd lost sight
of his broad steady wings
because he was always
gazing up
to curse
an unseen god.

If he'd just looked down
he would have seen how
the household gods below
helped raise him up.

Maybe if he'd written a poem
he would have known--

because our own words
can teach us so much--
for instance:

not until I searched
for these lines
did I see how
that man's indignation
helped fuel his holding power.

© 2011, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home