Thursday, December 15, 2011

Star Eye



author's note:

Poetry seems to me the best way to try to say what can not be said.  To try.


STAR EYE

Sometimes I wish
I could ignore
that star eye spur.

After all, I found
my solid foundation
not in yearning for the heavens
but in burrowing down--

I wasn't even trying
the one time I ascended
into the blazing center
of that star diamond

but such accidents
happen by design--

that once was enough
to keep me working
to return to a vast depth
so high above...

but connected, I've discovered
to the rich depth far below

so I continue to burrow.

If I now say to you:
"I just can't explain"
maybe you'll understand
what I mean:

if you already know
how words are insufficient--

if you already know
how the held memory
of these brief events
makes one's fire burn
hotter, sharper
(even years afterwards)

then you must be a dazed fool too--

sprung maybe only once
but once is so much--!--
lifted by that blessed
star lightning.

(At the end of this lonely journey
 we'll talk together
 because what can not be said
 still needs to be expressed.)


© 2011, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home