Thursday, February 02, 2012

Answering the Why Baby



author's note:

After "going long" for the last month, I thought I should offer a shorter poem.

Just a few lines--and yet it took years to write them.


ANSWERING THE WHY BABY

“Why--!--?

“Oh why!”

is what a baby cries
in the pain of birth.

But, to my credit
I grew out of it--

I grew out of it
when I saw why:

we need to grow, that's why!

But why, oh why
do we need to grow?--
to so painfully grow?

We just must--that's how come!

is the reality
I grew to accept

and thereafter, began asking
better questions--

that is: questions
I might someday answer--

if, through the quest
of my questioning
I grow enough to know.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home