Thursday, March 29, 2012

Will



author's note:

As a schoolboy, I found inspiration in the story of The Little Engine That Could.

However, in my adulthood, I find the challenge isn't so simple--after one hill, there's always another...

...or else, it's the same hill with different levels.


WILL

So often I've said: I can’t I won't!

though I know I've already made my choice:

this choice involves wearing a yoke

but why would anyone want to wear a yoke--?--

especially when the yoke connects to a plow--?--

especially when the plow must be pulled
                                        up a steep slippery hill--?--

where I can build
luscious green terraces
to nurture nutritious bean plants.

I use this line of questioning
when I need to lead myself
back to the reason for this work.

But sometimes, even that good sense
isn't enough to keep me from crying: I can't I won't!

So to soothe the hurt
and move my feet
I reach this agreement
with myself:
         "okay, I will...
          I will for now."

I'm willing to comply
as long as I believe
I actually have an option...


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home