Monday, April 16, 2012

The Newshounds of Hell



author's note:

I thought I should follow one “dog” poem with another (see last post).

I usually don’t like to be so topical.  On the other hand, fear and pain are a timeless part of the human condition.


THE NEWSHOUNDS OF HELL

I heard their growling
and started to growl--

angry at their angry refusal
to see their own blind fear--

but then later--
  cooled by going into
  my deeper pools--
I felt my sadness--

my disappointment
at how we bow
to their bow wow wow--
at how they get us to bark
as they bark--

at how we scare ourselves
into devouring
our own hearts.

So now I try not to growl
when I hear them
trying to lower us down

instead I strain to listen
above my fear--to understand
our pain...our wound.

© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home