Thursday, May 03, 2012

Slowly Opening


author's note:

I recently watched Eat the Sun, a documentary on sun-gazers--people who stare directly into the Sun each day for nourishment.

But there's plenty of light, plenty of sun, plenty of nourishment, without burning our retinas in that way.

 
SLOWLY OPENING

When I honestly try
to see you now
the act of feeling
helps heal my sight

even if I witness bleeding...

The problem with my eyes
began long ago:
suddenly I'd see someone
in a sharp instinctive moment
and feel compelled
to turn away...

Not until I learned
to accept pain
as necessary
could I do more than glance
at your mirror--

but my eyes are still opening...
opening slowly--they must
to adjust to the shock
of sunlight.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home