Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fig Tree Communion


author's note:

I've never received communion...

...at least, not in church.


FIG TREE COMMUNION

I take this fig
onto my tongue
into my mouth
into my blood:

as I taste its richness
I meditate on
the spirit of the fig tree
from which it comes--

the tree
gaining strength
through its patience
as it slowly builds
ring upon ring--

the tree
even at full growth
still able to bend
sideways with the wind
then snap back
to vertical--

the tree
when shaken by the storm
finds unshakable security
in its deep roots.

The fig
as it feeds my blood
asks me to feel
my own tree spirit--
asks me to think

of how strong
I must become
if I'm to produce
such nourishing figs
as this one.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home