Monday, July 23, 2012

Bird Watching



author's note:

Long ago, I learned not to assume that I knew what was inside another human being.

I learned the hard way, of course.

A little later, I learned not to assume that I knew what was inside my own self.  Again, the hard way.

 
BIRD WATCHING

I take the Eagle
as my personal
universal symbol

but I also accept
the free-range Bantam
as an aspect of my person

in an aviary of mystifying contrast:

I am wee brown Wren,
as well as neon Peacock--

I am Dodo waddling
and nibble Plover
racing over the seashore--
I am

Crow cawing death's alarm

but also gold Meadowlark
singing a midwife's song!

So then,
what bird I am not?

Well, I can't say for sure
because, like you
every day I discover more--
more of who I am.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
picturing metaphor

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home