Thursday, July 05, 2012

No Rest for the Sleeping



author's note:

The butterfly--
What are the dreams that make him
flutter his wings?
          -- Chiyo (trans. Donald Keene)


NO REST FOR THE SLEEPING

In an ancient tale
a giant worm eats the sun
and then, because of the darkness
goes into hibernation...

All night long, the beast
wrestles in its sleep
as that festering solar fire
agitates its belly...

which is why I said:

you must have a sun inside
judging by the way
you twist and turn
as you dream beside me.

But instead of accepting
my sympathy, you told me
I also fight while asleep.

Yes, many nights
we only get fitful rest
as we struggle in dreams
that try to awaken us

but I believe someday
we'll finally exhaust our weaker wills
and then surrender
to the demands
of that bountiful sun...

surrender
to the hard razor light
of merciless dawn...

we've waited for eons.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
dreaming steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home