Friday, July 27, 2012

Talking About Silence



author's note:

I've revised this poem...

For one thing, in the first version, I had two minutes of silence, but in this version, I have twenty minutes.

So perhaps, life does get better.


TALKING ABOUT SILENCE

Silence is...

the deep water cave rediscovered
after twenty thousand years:

silence is feeling at rest
even amid such mysterious
underwater darkness--

silence is a single flame
in the indefinite distance
of that darkness--

I know I can draw
that light to me
by remaining silent:

silence is the effort
that requires no effort...

yes,
I know something about silence
though I've only been
in total silence
for twenty minutes
my entire life

but in that brief time
I traveled
twenty thousand years.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home