Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Charge of the Buck Private




author's note:

Love yourself.  Then forget it.  Then, love the world.
                               -- Mary Oliver


THE CHARGE OF THE BUCK PRIVATE

I must have been born
into the turmoil of this world
because I hate turmoil--

driven by this innate dislike, I fight
so hard to settle my many conflicts:

losing and losing and falling again

but struggling and standing and charging
regardless--

determined to end this war.

For a long time, I thought I fought
merely for my own peace of mind

but I've come to see how
I battle for the benefit of all

so now,
I feel ever stronger in my charge
because...

what better reason for being?

© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home