Friday, January 04, 2013

dUNKED



author's note:

"Up from the bottom
      of an old pond,
      that duckling
  has seen something strange."
             -- Joso (trans. Beilenson/Behn)


dUNKED

I will admit
I do need to be woken up
just a bit

but
that water feels so cold--!--

so I resist
though I know
if I don't go in
I will be dunked--
dunked again:

something down there
keeps drawing me down--

down to where my head
conjures all those wild reflections

and he and she and she and it
and it and it and it
look so very different
from what I usually see
in myself:

I can’t but be amazed--

sometimes when I come back up
I feeling like spouting off
because the picture show has shown me
shining brilliantly!

But to be honest,
more often I feel ashamed
at what that picture show shows me

so I sit in the corner
and cower wetly,
hoping no one notices
who I am.

Either way, I realize
the waters will eventually
rise again

and I may likely
resist again

though I know
I'll be dunked if I do...

dunked again.


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home