Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Irritation of Wisdom



author's note:

It may not show...

...but I've worked so hard on this poem--a poem that tells of how I've worked so hard to see.


THE IRRITATION OF WISDOM

I first heard her voice
after I woke to discover
my eyes sealed shut.

I listened
but only after
my rising fear had fired
wild bursts of frustration;

only after I surrendered,
tired and weak
did I finally give myself
to her stern command:

"Having now come to know
  that you do not know
  you will feel
  your path blindly
  and in feeling, find
  the slow way of opening."

In the following years
--years of following--
her admonitions have often
grated my ears...

I am still on the slow way--
still opening...so so slowly:

I can see, but only a little
but a little is enough
to make me want to see
so much more--
to make me want to heed
her irritating wisdom.

I've seen enough to see:
I'll never see enough
to satisfy me--
I'll always be working,
I'll never be done...

I've seen enough to see:
we're all working--
all in the same slow way:

struggling to follow
the irritating wisdom
we struggle to ignore.

© 2013, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home