Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How My Ego Saved a Tree



author's note:

"Poems are made by fools like me,
  But only God can make a tree."
                -- Joyce Kilmer

Maybe so, but we can damn well help.


HOW MY EGO SAVED A TREE

Lost, I was

and tired
tired of searching

so when I found an old blind man
sitting cross-legged on the ground
I asked him for some wisdom

and because I'd begged, I had to obey
when he pointed me to a gray hill
covered with a stubble of stumps.

But though confused
I knew enough to know
I needed to be needed--

I needed meaning

so I convinced myself
this wounded land
needed my healing--

needed me especially.

From this decision, we see
how the ego can sometimes
serve the spirit:

now,
having regained my leaves--
my limbs, my trunk
I realize how much
I needed the healing
of this green hill...


© 2013, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home