Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Joy Grief



author's note:

It is apparently more important to nature that one should have consciousness, understanding, than to avoid suffering.
                          -- Carl Jung
 
 
JOY GRIEF

Today, "happy" and "unhappy"
describe simple childish moods

because today, I feel grief

because today, I feel joy--

the two swirl together
--in a wind dance--
defying my control:

a spiral so very volatile
--so grandly powerful--
it mocks the crafty trappings
of my cleverest writing;

nevertheless, I've surrendered
to the impulse to use words:

what can not be expressed
still demands expression--

and maybe what I share
will be understood
because you've known
this same whirlwind--

a force of feeling
that steals our breath

a force of feeling
that expands our breath.


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
dreaming steps

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home