Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sacred Loss



author’s note:

I’m NOT going to suggest that you buy this poem (as part of a collection entitled Glorious Tedious Transformation) on amazon...

As a wise man once said: why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?


SACRED LOSS

Another husk falls
from my chest--
one more
reaper harvest.

I don't want to forget
this painful accomplishment
so I'll retrieve this shell--
this dry cracked scab

though its rough edges
prick my fingertips
as I reach down--

yes, still fiery poignant.

To honor the dead
I lay the delicate shield
on the kitchen shelf.

Not for public view,
no, soft in the shadow--

for now, I will keep
this sacred loss--this sacrifice
in quiet privacy
until I arrive
at better understanding.

© 2013, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I cannot tell you why, Michael, I like this poem so much, but I do.

Thank you for your writing. Thank you for sharing some of your innermost thoughts and feelings, albeit some (many?) of them obliquely.

I'm just now getting back 'in the loop', internet-wise, and I see that you have published another one. Can't WAIT to read it!

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home