Sunday, September 22, 2013

Golden Death

green shoe gold sprout - September 22, 2013s

author's note:

Years ago, I printed a sign and placed it on my refrigerator: "Nothing is for Naught."

I guess I just wanted to help myself feel better.

I no longer have such a sign--I no longer need one.  Most of the time.


GOLDEN DEATH

Years ago
after questioning those Inquisitors
who tormented my dreams...

I came to realize
I was trying to grow
by stretching myself
on the rack--

I would break
if I didn't learn gentler tactics

but turning those torturers
into wiser men
required such work--
so much of my mind;

in the process
I seemed to have lost
so much of my life:
   the gold dust shifted down
   between the floorboard planks
   to lie buried in the dark silent soil.

But recently
a wise man asked me:
does anything really ever die?

While considering that question
I began to listen...
and in deepening, began to sense
something down there--
growing, spreading, starting to rise:

has some unknown crop developed
below my awareness--?--

last night in a dream
a gold sprout sprang up from an old worn shoe--!

So I'm finally beginning to see
the design:
death does indeed seed new life--

just as our ancient myths tell us...

© 2013, Michael R. Patton
SOULTIME

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home