Sunday, September 08, 2013

Guardians

owl eyes - September 8, 2013s

author’s note:

It doesn't have to be an owl.


GUARDIANS

One fortunate midnight...

I woke to find in my bedroom window
two golden fire eyes with pits of black.

I froze dumb, struck to core
as the owl peered straight into me--
examining, taking the sum
of all my troubles, conflicts
beyond number

not to judge me nor feel pity--
just to calculate my progress
in this refining process.

Overwhelmed, in but a few moments
I could bear no more and so shut down.

Nonetheless, the next morning I felt satisfied--

what I'd only vaguely sensed before
had just been confirmed as fact:

this world does indeed have eyes--we are being monitored

and though our guardians
can seem so distant
so dispassionate

their presence indicates
this life is
of enough importance
for the unseen to take note of us.

I realize you may say
the owl was but a dream...

well, perhaps that’s so

but I’ve never known
a dream to speak false

so if the owl's not out there
the owl must be within me...

either way,
what I'm doing counts.

© 2013, Michael R. Patton
you can now buy these poems, instead of getting them for free!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home