Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Quiet Commotion



author's note:

I'd like to thank those who have been tolerant of my menagerie...


QUIET COMMOTION

Last night, while dreaming of
my solitary house
I opened a broom closet
and a bundled body fell out...

So now I'm trying to unwrap
yet another resident--

one more character in a wide cast
that includes both commanders
and slaves, both mountebanks
and monks

and some of the monks
can sometimes be mountebanks
and the mountebanks,
monks.

So please excuse me
if I don't invite you in--
what may seem quite quiet
actually contains a carousel
of commotion:

yes, at first, you might enjoy
the entertainment
but in time, a circus
can become very overbearing.

On the plus side:
dealing with such a menagerie
has taught me tolerance.

But knowing the strain of that lesson
how can I ask you to be
as tolerant of me...?

© 2013, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home