Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stretch Step



author's note:

Maybe I shouldn't have begun with this poem with "don't worry".

Now that I think of it, those may be the two scariest words in the English language.


STRETCH STEP

Don't worry--

this tripping point
must actually be
a big step up for us--

I say so because I've tripped
on all my big steps

yet, I've still made my way up.

But I guess you already know
about stairways--
after all, all humans step

separately and together:

we're all learning together
on this current test
of intense upward stretching:
this heightening of uncertainty--

I'll always be learning
how to rise up from under
the weight of my fear:

the fear brought on
by this new step
echoes the fear
of every single step
beginning with my birth on--

from the first, we're told to trust
that this work is worth the pain

but though I do try to trust
I really don't believe the truth
until afterwards
when the strength I find
lifts me to feel
more strongly alive...

© 2013, Michael R. Patton
Glorious Tedious Transformation

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home