Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Two Types of Light



author's note:

I needed to return to this poem for some additional rewrites...

Maybe three words now remain from the original version: "a", "and", and "the".


TWO TYPES OF LIGHT

Years ago,
when the thunder god
offered me a higher charge
I'd already learned to say
--"no thanks"--
to something so bold.

Though I usually can ignore
the power shortage,
such lack is still mourned
in the depth of the heart.

But lightning denied
     will find ways to strike back--!


In the burnt aftermath
of the unexpected jagged flash
sometimes I can admit my loss
--admit my grief--

then,
following some natural law
a different type of light offers itself:
a saturated light, steady and strong--

still too foreign to me
for me to hold it
for more than an evening;

however, now sometimes
that light can flow down
without needing a lightning bolt
to knock a hole in my ceiling...


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
SOULTIME

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home