Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Despite Myself



author's note:

I don't think my basic experience of this life can be so very different from anyone else's.


DESPITE MYSELF

Despite my urgent urge to jump
down from atop this wild hill
my roots keep deepening
their claws:

anchoring these legs as they lengthen--
pulled by the force of my desperate arms
straining to reach ever higher.

Afraid as I am
I wonder at the fool that I am:
defying the storm--the lightning--

why do I so desire to rise above?

I fear I'm losing myself
as the familiar feeling of weakness recedes
and something nearly unknown
begins to take control--

impelling me to lift my head.

Despite louder alarms to run
I find I can't help but be strong.


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
just another book promotion

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home