Sunday, January 05, 2014

Galaxy Hurricane Sleep



author’s note:

Perhaps our dreams are there, in part, to remind us how extraordinary our ordinary lives are.


GALAXY HURRICANE SLEEP

According to one theory...

as we fall asleep
our minds begin to spiral
like a galaxy--
like a hurricane.

So though we think we rest
we actually expand through Space
at ever greater velocities:

each night, we push ourselves
nearly to the breaking point--
stretching just a little bit more
than before--

each night, just a wee bit more

then as morning light breaks
we contract in a mere instant--
we slam back together again...

According to this one theory.

Maybe so.  All I know is:
in a blink I’m awake and back
in my wooden shoes

and though I can sense
the transport of some momentous event
the memory has swirled far away

leaving me with maybe a few snapshots
or sometimes only some sprinkles of dust.

Well, probably wasn’t that important,
I tell myself...

though I feel like a kid
who's just missed the circus
and must return to class.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
I wrote this book for the both of us

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I had the most wildly convoluted dream last night, Michael. Just about everything and anything was in it (except for the kitchen sink and sex). Think it might have had something to do with recently reading that the brain is most active when we are sleeping. My brain registered my reading that and thought, "You think you've seen active? I'll show you active!"

7:40 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

So lucky! I think we get to enjoy a double life--two lives for the price of one--when we can recall such dreams.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home