Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Process Before a Step



author's note:

My favorite line in this poem is: "because they think they know me/ better than I know my own self."

I'm guessing you can relate.


THE PROCESS BEFORE A STEP

Here's my process:

again, a door opens without warning...

again, a dark space dares me to enter...

but because the depth
is unknown
I vacillate
even though I know
I'll eventually take that step
because the depth
is unknown.

I wouldn't be so hesitant
if I'd more than myself for a guide
but I've cast off all others
because they think they know me
better than I know my own self.

Though I realize it's a dream
I'm nervous because I can't imagine
what I'll find
but still, I try to guess
because I'm so damn nervous
even though I know
I can't possibly imagine...

Then

shamed at such weak foolishness
I finally take that first bold step...


© 2011, Michael R. Patton
COMMON COURAGE book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home