Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Voice of a Stone



author’s note:

In the "selfie" photo above, I'm not the bluff.  I'm the scrawny tree.


THE VOICE OF A STONE

If I could choose
a legend for my life
I'd have my edifice
become a bluff
overlooking the river:

as travelers passed in their canoes
they would gaze up and retell
the tale of the old man
who transformed himself
into mighty wall of stone
to protect his people from
the flood waters of the storm:

those pilgrims would speak to me
and wait to hear my echoes--

wait for my lesson, my solid guidance...

just as on my own journey
I've questioned many
men and women of stone
discovered along the way

but when sounding out
a great monument
I didn't realize
the resonant reply
actually came from
my own voice--

the one deep inside.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
SOULTIME

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

Must be the mood I'm in today. I wanted to stop at "holds the earth together". You had me up thru there!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home