Sunday, January 12, 2014

To Reach the Fiery Light



author’s note:

It seems appropriate that a poem about delving down should be followed by a poem about rising up.


TO REACH THE FIERY LIGHT

When I heard the story of Prometheus
I asked myself an important question:

if I could, would I
bring fire down from the sun
to share with all humankind
though I know I'd be chained
to a rock as punishment...?

Before I could answer, I realized:
though I haven't yet
brought anything of great value down
I already feel bound
by such restrictions--!--

like Prometheus,
I feel an angry eagle
eating at my liver
every single day!

When I asked the gods the reason
for punishing a mortal so obedient
I was told:
only through such rough treatment
do human beings become strong enough
to bring light down from the fiery sun.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
COMMON COURAGE

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home