Sunday, February 23, 2014

Drumbeat Deep



author’s note:

“My friend, I want to the market and bought the Dark One.
 You claim by night, I claim by day.
 Actually, I was beating a drum all the time I was buying him.”
           -- Mirabai
              (trans. by Robert Bly)


DRUMBEAT DEEP

I left my lawnmower in the yard
and went to answer a distant drum

believing drumbeats always lead
to the fire of tribal ritual revelry--

to people, to parties.

But this invisible drum
pulled me to a dark well
in an expansive savanna
of isolation.

I then surrendered
to the force of higher instinct:
I would let that ominous plodding beat
take me deep

and once taken, I would remain--

I'd keep on hearing the drumbeat within

even while mowing the lawn
and trimming the hedges.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
one more book promo

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home