Sunday, February 09, 2014

The Original Wound



author’s note:

It seemed appropriate to follow a poem about rainbows with this poem about a human being who splits in half.

But perhaps it's not the best poem for Valentine's Day...

...or maybe it is.


THE ORIGINAL WOUND

According to the story:
our problems first began
when the first human being
couldn't decide which direction
to go in--

North held a promise
but so did South.

Due to this dilemma
the first human then split in half...

Both halves felt the loss; however,
both halves saw the other half
as "the other":

as the exact opposite of itself

and so
they didn't try to get back together
but walked away from each other:

one half went North
while the other half went South--
both of them searching for what
might heal the wound...

As with any journey, both halves
found many obstacles in their paths
and because new things can be
so very hard to see
they often mistook those blocks
for the very thing they sought:

at first, thing might seem to be
the right thing
but then, as it was seen
more clearly, it wouldn't seem so right,
after all.

The happy ending of our story
would appear to be obvious:

after the North half
reached the polar cap
without finding the answer
it would begin to descend
just as the South half
would eventually ascend

then the two of them would meet again
and from the understanding they'd gained
finally realize their mistake.

Unfortunately, on ground level
the situation remains in chaos

because
we humans keep trying
to go both ways at once--
thus, we continue to split
and split: the halves
just keep on halving--

populating our planet with people
all searching for what might mend
the original wound...

Anyway,
both versions of the story
explain why you seemed so perfect
when I first saw you:

you appeared to be the half
that could make me whole.

But maybe my mistake is fortunate
because this error in perception
has brought us two together
where my blindness may be cured
(at least, in part) along with yours:

yes, I now realize you're not
my other half, but
I know if I keep working
to see you better
I'll discover a mirror:

a reflection that shows me something
I've missed in myself--
   that helps me retrieve
   that same something.

Likewise, I hope
you can find something of yourself
as you peer into me...

not the other half, of course
but, maybe, a big part...


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
book of the SOULTIME

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home